Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Broken Pitcher

The Broken Pitcher
The Jewel Casket
The Kitchen Maid
The Lady of Shalott
¡¡¡¡There was a ring of triumph in his voice, and his eyes, clear blue this morning as the sea, were sparkling with light. ¡¡¡¡'You must be well up in mathematics,' I said. 'Where did you go to school?' 'Never saw the inside of one, worse luck,' was the answer. 'I had to dig it out for myself. ¡¡¡¡'And why do you think I have made this thing?
oil painting
' he demanded abruptly. 'Dreaming to leave footprints on the sands of time?' He laughed one of his horrible mocking laughs. 'Not at all. To get it patented, to make money from it, to revel in piggishness, with all night in while other men do the work. That's my purpose. Also, I have enjoyed working it out.' ¡¡¡¡'The creative joy,' I murmured. ¡¡¡¡'I guess that's what it ought to be called. Which is another way of expressing the joy of life in that it is alive, the triumph of movement over matter, of the quick over the dead, the pride of the yeast because it is yeast and crawls.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Broken Pitcher"