Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hylas and the Nymphs

Hylas and the Nymphs
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
girl with a pearl earring vermeer
Gustav Klimt Kiss painting
¡¡¡¡ "It is past ten." ¡¡¡¡ "Is it really? What SHALL I do!" she said, starting up. ¡¡¡¡ "Stay where you are." ¡¡¡¡ "Yes; that's what I want to do. But I don't know what they would say! And what will you do?" ¡¡¡¡ "I am going to sit here by the fire all night, and read. To-morrow is Sunday, and I haven't to go out anywhere. Perhaps you will be saved a severe illness by resting there. Don't be frightened. I'm all right. Look here, what I have got for you. Some supper." ¡¡¡¡ When she had sat upright she breathed plaintively and said, "I do feel rather weak still. l thought I was well; and I ought not to be here, ought I?" But the supper fortified her somewhat, and when she had had some tea and had lain back again she was bright and cheerful. ¡¡¡¡ The tea must have been green, or too long drawn, for she seemed preternaturally wakeful afterwards, though Jude, who had not taken any, began to feel heavy; till her conversation fixed his attention. ¡¡¡¡ "You called me a creature of civilization, or something, didn't you?" she said, breaking a silence. "It was very odd you should have done that." ¡¡¡¡ "Why?" ¡¡¡¡ "Well, because it is provokingly wrong. I am a sort of negation of it." ¡¡¡¡ "You are very philosophical. 'A negation' is profound talking."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs

Anonymous said...

Hylas and the Nymphs
hjgvjghj