Sunday, February 1, 2009

Thomas Moran Grand Canyon

Thomas Moran Grand CanyonJean Francois Millet The sowerJean Francois Millet Spring
stirring my hair about, and the Atlantic was being very well-behaved, little quiet waves around our feet...
"And I took the crucifix from around my neck and I threw it in the sea. That was it. All over. Gone.
"So that was how"yes, but not then."
"Was it hard to leave the Church?" said Will.
"In one way it was, because everyone was so disappointed. Everyone, from the Mother Superior to the priests to my parents, they were so upset and reproachful... I felt as if something they all passionately believed in depended on me carrying on with something I didn't.
"But in another way it was easy, because it made sense. For the first time ever I felt I was doing something with all of my nature and not only a part of it. So it was lonely I stopped being a nun," she said."Was that man the same one that found out about the skulls?" Lyra said after a moment."Oh, no. The skull man was Dr. Payne, Oliver Payne. He came along much later. No, the man at the conference was called Alfredo Montale. He was very different.""Did you kiss him?""Well," said Mary, smiling,

No comments: