Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gustave Courbet paintings

Gustave Courbet paintings
Guido Reni paintings
George Inness paintings
carefully. "But the joke's on you."
"Oh?"
"I knew all along that Pass and Fail aren't opposites -- didn't I tell you Passage is Failure? -- but I also knew you knew I'd try to trick you into flunking. So I told you they were the same so you'd believe I thought they were different and come to think so yourself. Why else do you think I pretended to take your advice?"
"I know why you took it," I replied, and grinned, hoping to confuse him with inversions-of-inversions long enough to work out the right ones for myself. "Whatyou don't know, when I tell youFailure is Passage, is whether I want you to believe it is because it isn't or isn't because it is."
Stoker grinned also -- not easily, it seemed to me -- and added as though carelessly: "-- or is because itis, eh? Or isn't because it isn't. . ."
I perspired, and he exploited his advantage at once. "Don't forget, boy: whichever you believe, you may believe because I tricked you into it."
Grimly I retorted: "And if you did, the joke may be on you." But it was

No comments: