Monday, August 11, 2008

Nancy O'Toole paintings

Nancy O'Toole paintings
Pino paintings
Pablo Picasso paintings
Annup told me that Mrs. Tattava had eighteen votes, although she usually didn't bother to cast any, and probably could have thirty or forty, if she'd bother to register.
"But why does she have more votes than other people?"
"Well, she's old, you know," the boy said. He was touch-ingly modest when he gave me information or corrected my misunderstandings. They all were. They acted as if they were reminding me of something I knew that had slipped my mind. He tried to explain: "Like, you know, I only have one vote."
"So as you get older... you're supposed to be wiser?"
He looked uncertain.
"Or they honor the elderly by giving them more votes... ?"
"Well, you already have them, you know," Annup said.
"They come back to you, you know? Or you come back to them, actually, Mother says. If you can keep them in mind. The other votes you had." I must have looked blank as a brick wall. "When you, you know, were living again." He did not say living before, he said living again.

No comments: