Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Raphael Madonna and Child with Book painting

Raphael Madonna and Child with Book painting
Cole The Notch of the White Mountains (Crawford Notch) painting
Bastida El bano del caballo [The Horse's Bath] painting
Hopper Ground Swell painting
``I'm sorry you didn't find Ellen -- I should have liked to see her again,'' May said as they drove home through the dusk. ``But perhaps she wouldn't have cared -- she seems so changed.''
``Changed?'' echoed her husband in a colourless voice, his eyes fixed on the ponies' twitching ears.
``So indifferent to her friends, I mean; giving up New York and her house, and spending her time with such queer people. Fancy how hideously uncomfortable she must be at the Blenkers'! She says she does it to keep cousin Medora out of mischief: to prevent her marrying dreadful people. But I sometimes think we've always bored her.''
Archer made no answer, and she continued, with a tinge of hardness that he had never before noticed in her frank fresh voice: ``After all, I wonder if she wouldn't be happier with her husband.''
He burst into a laugh. ``Sancta simplicitas!'' he
-217-exclaimed; and as she turned a puzzled frown on him he added: ``I don't think I ever heard you say a cruel thing before.''
``Cruel?''

No comments: