Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Kitchen Maid

The Kitchen Maid
The Lady of Shalott
the night watch by rembrandt
the Night Watch
'Who's the man? I want to know his name.' ¡¡¡¡Ham glanced at me, and suddenly I felt a shock that struck me back. ¡¡¡¡'There's a man suspected,' said Mr. Peggotty. 'Who is it?' ¡¡¡¡'Mas'r Davy!' implored Ham. 'Go out a bit, and let me tell him what I must. You doen't ought to hear it, sir.' ¡¡¡¡I felt the shock again. I sank down in a chair, and tried to utter some reply; but my tongue was fettered, and my sight was weak. ¡¡¡¡'I want to know his name!' I heard said once more. ¡¡¡¡'For some time past,' Ham faltered, 'there's been a servant about here, at odd times. There's been a gen'lm'n too. Both of 'em belonged to one another.' ¡¡¡¡M
oil painting
r. Peggotty stood fixed as before, but now looking at him. ¡¡¡¡'The servant,' pursued Ham, 'was seen along with - our poor girl - last night. He's been in hiding about here, this week or over. He was thought to have gone, but he was hiding. Doen't stay, Mas'r Davy, doen't!' ¡¡¡¡I felt Peggotty's arm round my neck, but I could not have moved if the house had been about to fall upon me. ¡¡¡¡'A strange chay and hosses was outside town, this morning, on the Norwich road, a'most afore the day broke,' Ham went on. 'The servant went to it, and come from it, and went to it again. When he went to it again, Em'ly was nigh him. The t'other was inside. He's the man.'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The British Are Coming"
还没有评论。 - 显示原始文章

Anonymous said...

The Kitchen Maid
xdtrecfytry

Anonymous said...

The Kitchen Maid